What Should You Do After An Auto Accident?
Most people are not prepared for an auto accident. If you have been hit by a car or other vehicle, you need to act fast. The initial moments and days after an accident are critical.
If you have been in an accident:
- Seek medical attention immediately: If you are on the scene, make sure you and everyone else involved in the crash gets medical attention as soon as possible. If you have any reason to think you could be seriously hurt, do not worry about anything else. Get medical attention.
- Get information on the scene: Assuming you are not in serious immediate danger, get as much detailed information as possible. Get the names and contact information of the witnesses and police on the scene, the information of the other driver, pictures from the scene and any other information that could be valuable for building your case. Do not apologize or admit fault at any time. Say as little as possible until you have talked to your lawyer.
- Do not talk with the insurance company: Anything you say to the insurance company agent could be used to limit or deny your insurance claim. This person will seem very friendly, and it’s human nature to just offer information and to talk freely about an exciting event like a motor vehicle accident, but avoid this tendency. Tell the insurance agent that you are going to secure legal counsel and you will not talk further until you have done so.
- Contact an attorney: It is critical to work with an experienced personal injury plaintiffs’ lawyer before proceeding. With the legal complications involved and the high stakes of an auto wreck claim, you need all the legal help you can get. Do not try to handle this situation on your own.
At The Tucker Law Firm, PLLC, we are a solo-attorney law firm representing accident victims in Louisville and throughout Kentucky. Our lead attorney, Lee Tucker, has been handling some of the most serious injury cases for 20 years. When you work with us, you will have the benefit of all this knowledge and experience advocating for you. We will do everything we can to get you the compensation you deserve.
Common Causes Of Motor Vehicle Accidents
We represent clients in motor vehicle accidents caused by:
- Careless driving
- Drunk driving
- Distracted driving
- Tired driving
- Poorly maintained vehicles and roadways
- Running red lights and stop signs
- Dangerous lane changes
According to the Kentucky Office of Highway Safety (KOHS), more than 800 people died in auto accidents in 2021 throughout the commonwealth of Kentucky. Citi-data.com estimates that there were 87 fatal auto wrecks in the city of Louisville alone in 2019, killing a total of 94. Chillingly, 26 of those 87 fatal accidents involved drunk drivers. That’s almost 30% of all fatal accidents in Louisville were caused by people driving drunk.
One of the most important aspects of our auto accident representation involves establishing liability in the other party. Kentucky is a pure comparative negligence state. This means that each party can collect damages to the extent that the other party was at fault. Complicated calculations are involved in these accident scenarios, but the salient point is that the more liability we can place on the other party, the greater your compensation award will be.
Our attorney Lee Tucker is experienced in accident reconstruction and investigation, so he excels at placing the maximum percentage of liability on the other party, which means a greater compensation award for you.
We Handle All Types Of Accidents
Our legal team handles accident claims that include:
- Car accidents
- Truck and commercial vehicle accidents
- Motorcycle accidents
- Bicycle and pedestrian accidents
- Rollovers and other single-vehicle accidents
- Taxicab and Uber accidents
- Bus accidents
- Police and emergency vehicle accidents
This is just a small sampling of the types of claims we handle. If you have been in any type of auto accident, talk with attorney Lee Tucker who can evaluate your claim and walk you through the legal process.
Injuries Resulting From Auto Accidents
All types of injuries can result from an auto accident, including:
- Broken bones
- Spinal cord injuries
- Whiplash/soft tissue injuries
- Loss of limb
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Burns and permanent scarring
- Fatal injuries
In 20 years of legal practice, our lawyer has seen all types of catastrophic injuries. We can handle your case if you have whiplash or something more serious.
Get Maximum Compensation
One of the most important services we provide as an accident and injury firm is negotiating with the insurance company agent. Many people talk to the insurance company right away and accept their first offer. But this offer is low, even if it doesn’t seem so. Not only that, but signing their settlement agreement also means that you forfeit your right to bring a lawsuit when you discover that their offer was not even close to adequate.
When we represent you, we will talk with the insurance company representatives for you. We know how they work, and we know how to make sure you get maximum compensation for a full lifetime of losses – including ongoing medical care, medication, adaptive technology and loss of quality of life – that you have sustained.
If you want maximum compensation, we can help you.